Dec 2013 - May 2018
While working as a Product Manager at The Exchange Lab (TEL) my role has had two distinct phases, pre and post-acquisition by WPP.
Once acquired our product vision switched to becoming the single point for reporting Programmatic advertisement campaigns operated by WPP. This required us to rebuild and reinvent process for detailing a with a considerably different scale for data collection. As the TEL we had 15 seats in various DSPs, while WPP has thousands.
To deliver this product vision, I became the Product Owner for the data collection infrastructure and retrieving the required dataset for our customers. Integrations range from a single seat for niche providers, to tens, or even hundreds of seats within a vendor’s platform. The VIE works in tandem with our Data Lake build on top of Amazon EMR to standardise the incoming Log Level Data into a normalised view for Programmatic Ad Buying for Analysts.
When I joined TEL in 2013 I became responsible for running the support desk to mentor TEL employees and users for our DataLab reporting product to best utilise its features. I was also responsible for collating product feedback on our Workbook CRM implementation to find workflow improvements for the Client Services team. Much of this feedback fed into our Campaign Management product.
A unique selling point of TEL for our clients was our Multi-Platform approach using several Demand Side Platforms (DSP) to best find the desired audience of our clients.
I have also been the Product Owner for the Media Planning component of Proteus, called Campaign Management. Campaign Management was used by members of Client Service as TEL to plan how advertising budgets would be spent to achieve client goals across multiple vendors. Once the user has completed their planning, the process of building a Multi-Platform could be automated by pushing key settings entered into Proteus into four DSPs via their APIs.
Automating Inventory Management R&D project
Prior to our acquisition, I collaborated with colleagues in the Business Intelligence team on a big data R&D project; part funded by Innovate UK. This project was defunded post-acquisition.
We developed a prototype application and algorithms for automating the blocking of websites with non-brand-safe inventory by adding them to blacklists maintained by TEL. We did this in three platforms uploading changes into AppNexus, MediaMath and The Trade Desk via their APIs to extend the protection of the site lists.
These decisions were based upon Log Data from AppNexus, DoubleClick, MediaMath, The Trade Desk and Integral Ad Science (a Brand Safety vendor). Along with specifying the functionality of the automation and writing project reports for Innovate UK, I wrote the SQL for one algorithm used in a Proof of Concept to demonstrate the viability of the product to effectively block website domains.